In T-minus 5 days and counting, the Green Bay Packers (okay, fine. And the Pittsburgh Steelers too.) will be headed to Super Bowl 45. Which means this girl needs to find a Super Bowl party and fast. This is pretty much a national holiday for me, and if wasn’t going home the following weekend, I’d drive home just for the game. I love the tension, the drama, the yelling, and of course, the food.
Typically I bring a 7-layer Mexican dip when I go to such parties, and while said dip is AWESOME, I was looking for another option to liven things up. As usual, I hit up AllRecipes.com to look for some inspiration (there’s that word again…). This little gem is what I found.
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado – peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red or white wine vinegar
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- In a bowl, gently stir together tomatoes, avocados, onion, and garlic. Mix in parsley and oregano. Gently stir in olive oil and vinegar. Then stir in feta. Cover, and chill for 2 to 6 hours.
Doesn’t that sound great? I mean, if you don’t like avocados or feta, then maybe not. But whatever. I’m not sure that I will use oregano, since I associate that herb with Italian food. One reviewer said on the site that they used cilantro, and that sounds pretty good! If you make it, please let me know how it turns out!
I hope your Monday wasn’t too horrible. 🙂
P.S.- What do you take to parties?